Monday, May 29, 2006

rachel oniga

How refreshing to have a sighting of a Nigerian star on the streets of London, for a change. It doesn't happen to me often. I saw Sola Fosudo on a train platform at Wembley Park Station once. I looked at him and he looked at me in the way famous people do when it dawns on them they've been recognised while trying to be incognito. We looked at each other again, then we both thought better of it and moved on without a word.

But I've been watching more than my fair share of Nollywood video films of late, and so when I saw Rachel Oniga at Victoria Bus Station about 6pm last Thursday, I couldn't just walk on. She kept looking at her watch and it was clear she was waiting someone. Then there was me going up to her to say I love her performances in the Nollywood films I've seen featuring her. She smiled graciously through the whole thing. I'd moved on before realising I had not allowed her to get a word in!

Here she is on the packaging of one of the ones I've watched in the last week, Talesu?

2 Comments:

Blogger Nkem said...

For me, the problem with seeing Nollywood star leaves me tongue tied. Precisely because I couldn't tell them with any honesty that their performance in any film as brilliant. I'd be lying. So I pass by and say nothing. I tend to only approach famous people I admire, like say, Newsnight's Gavin Esler...

12:09 pm, May 30, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nkem, you'd be surprised how many famous people one sees without approaching-- even some admirable ones.

Gavin Esler: It's never occured to me to consider whether or not I admire him...

Nollywood: there's plenty of bad acting in Nollywood films. But there are some good ones. I don't suppose it helps to lump them all into one category of bad actors without exception. Rachel Oniga is good.

7:54 pm, May 31, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home