Saturday, February 25, 2006

prince's purple reign continues...





Thot I'd better blog this before another Sunday checks in. Above is Prince as he appeared in the Observer Music Monthly magazine (OMM, Feb edition, published last Sunday). Titled 'Genius in Short', it is Barney Hoskyns profile of the 5'2" enigma that is His Royal Purpleness - Prince. If the writer is to be believed, Prince has finally "shaken off his purple albatross", clocking in as the highest earning ($56.5m) performer in the US in 2004, and with his eagerly awaited new album, 3121. The stylish video of the first single off the new CD - Black Sweat - is already playing on MTV.

Watching Prince's first appearance on Saturday Night Live in 25 years earlier this month, Hoskyns saw the musician walk away with "the cockiest smirk you ever saw on a pop star's face... The smirk says: 'I killed them again'" The writer first saw the smirk in February 1981 at the Ritz Theatre. "That night... I saw rock'n'soul's future: a devastatingly assured set of taut new-wave funk from a kinky genius who made Michael Jackson look like the buppie next door." The writer and the singer have met up many times over the years. Here are some of Prince's utterances over time, as recorded in the article:

"Why does everyone think I'm mad?" he once asked a British Press assistant. She replied: "Because you do weird things and you dont explain them."

"All these non-singing, non-dancing, wish-I-had-me-some-clothes fools who tell me my albums suck; why should I listen to them?"

"The only person who knows anything about my music [pause for very pointed effect]... is me."

The last quote above is quite similar to a line in Purple Rain the movie, and comes to as near a truth about Prince as many will agree with, I think.



The article runs '10 Essential Albums' as recorded by Prince. The list got me thinking about my favourite Prince tracks. It's difficult and I'm bound to leave something out, especially as I'm only listing 5. So here goes.

  1. I Wish You Heaven
  2. Alphabet Street
  3. When Doves Cry
  4. The Most Beautiful Girl In The World
  5. Purple Rain

*I'm asking blog readers for their favourite 5 tracks by Prince, so please remember to list them here before you go.

11 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I luv this, I have so many fave Prince songs. Only 5? Ok then:

1. Kiss
2. Cream
3. Diamonds and Pearls
4. Rapsberry Beret
5. Sign O' The Times

12:36 am, February 26, 2006  
Blogger Frank Partisan said...

I live near the neighborhood where he grew up. I would see him on the street, before he was famous.

For about a year he had a shop in my neighborhood, only selling Prince collectables.

One of the reasons he has such a unique sound is that Minneapolis never had an Afro-American radio station, until about the mid-1980s.

1:13 am, February 26, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

My Five:

I Would Die For You
Kiss
1999
U Got The Look
Cream

Five is too little.

12:27 pm, February 26, 2006  
Blogger Pilgrimage to Self said...

I have been a Prince fan for as long as I can remember. I've got every single one of his albums!! My favourite 5 (too few, too few) are:

1. Sometimes it snows in April
2. And God created woman
3. Sign O'The Times
4. Insatiable
5. 7

2:44 pm, February 26, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

My favourite 'His Purpleness' tracks:

1. Diamonds and Pearls (love this!)
2. Rapsberry Beret
3. Sign O' The Times
4. 1999
5. Kiss

7:04 pm, February 26, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sokari,

Thanks for dropping by. As for this 'woman I'd love to celebrate' thing, brilliant idea. I'm definitely interested. Will be in touch with you soonest.
mw

7:39 pm, February 26, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

renegade eye,

Wonderful piece of info on the Purple one. Well folks, you read it here first!

So Renegade, you'll be sharing 5 of your Prince tracks - if you have them - I hope?
mw

7:41 pm, February 26, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great site, MW. The following 5 would rate very highly on my favourite songs by the purple genius.

- Partyman (From Batman
- I Could Never Take The Place of Your Man
- Thieves in the Temple
- Let's Go Crazy
- Gett Off

11:34 am, February 27, 2006  
Blogger adefunke said...

1. You've Got the Look
2. Gett Off
3. Sign O' the Times
4. Diamonds and Pearls
5. Partyman

11:55 am, February 27, 2006  
Blogger Unknown said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

5:49 pm, March 12, 2006  
Blogger Unknown said...

1.The ballad of Dorothy Parker (Sign O the Times)
2.Pop Life ( Around the world in a day)
3.Erotic City( The B SIDES)
4.Cream (Diamonds and Pearls)
5.Purple Rain( Purple Rain)

5:56 pm, March 12, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home